20 questions a musician bio should answer
If you are a newcomer, writing an impressive artist bio (short for biograph) can be extremely difficult. Best action is to seek professional help and get a PR agency, Music Business Consultant or Author to help. If however cash is a problem, you might have to try doing it yourself. Regardless of the direction you take, below are 20 questions you should answer in order to get that bio finished.
- What music genre do your perform/record?
- What other genres do you fit into?
- Give 5 words that describe your music e.g. uplifting, god-centered, upbeat, acoustic, etc.
- What is another quality of your music that could also be used to describe food e.g. rich, sweet, fulfilling, warm, etc.
- Why did you first start making music?
- Where are you from?
- Where are you based now?
- What is the best compliment you have ever received about your music?
- What is the biggest event you have performed at?
- What is your latest release?
- What is your biggest musical achievement? (i.e. Award nominations, competitions won, working with a popular artist, appearing on TV etc.)
- What kind of shows or venues do you wish to be invited to? (e.g. Lounges, Clubs, Churches, Festivals, Weddings, Private Parties, Corporate Parties etc.)
- Who do people say you sound like?
- Give 3 words that describe your live performances e.g. Energetic, Intimate, Flamboyant etc.
- Which famous artists have you shared a stage with?
- Do you have any associations with charitable causes?
- How have you worked with them?
- What is unique about your image? (i.e. How can people identify you from a crowd)
- What are you focusing your time on now (e.g. recording you next single, recording a full album, writing new music, touring, etc.)
- What is your favorite saying or phrase?
By taking time to answer these questions in full, giving carefully thought colourful responses, you will be in a position to empower whoever is writing your bio to do a great job. #GospelBuzz
Andile Nkosi is a Music Producer, Distributor and Business Coach. He writes for GospelBuzz in his own capacity. Follow his Page on Facebook: @andilenkosiTV or follow the hashtag #MusicBizSA